Posting Number: YUSA-10142
Position Title: Senior Application Developer
Department: University Information Technology
Salary: Annual salary of $79,259 will be prorated based on the number of weeks worked.
Duration: Limited Term Full-Time
Hours: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Position Start Date: April 1, 2017 Position End Date: January 31, 2019
Please Note: This position is a 2 year contract - start date is negotiable.
Reporting to the Manager, Enterprise Academic Application Services, the Senior Application Developer has a lead role in the development, implementation and support of systems and web applications that enable core enterprise-wide academic processes, specifically but not limited to course management, curriculum design, and course evaluation. Serving as an expert technical resource and consultant to projects for these applications, the Senior Application Developer takes application development from concept to implementation and provides advanced level development and support for existing software.
University degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
Minimum of 6 years current experience in the analysis, design, development and deployment of web-based applications; Experience in directing the work activities of other team members is beneficial.
Demonstrated skills/abilities in the following areas:
Using Python and/or PHP with Oracle or MySQL to develop complex web-based applications; using MVC frameworks; excellent analytical skills and evaluative skills; excellent written communications skills; excellent oral communication skills; ability to work and communicate with the external community in a professional and business-like manner; ability and willingness to work effectively as a member of a team; good organizational skills; strong service orientation coupled with an ability to assess the operational significance of a problem and to set priorities accordingly; exercising tact and diplomacy; maintaining confidentiality; dealing calmly and effectively with people; ; attending accurately to details; meeting short/long term deadlines; setting priorities and working effectively under pressure; ability and willingness to keep up to date with application development tools; solid deployment skills within application and web servers; experience with process design helpful.
Operating systems: Linux (Advanced); Additional Preferred: Mac OS (Intermediate). Programming Languages: PHP (Intermediate); Python (Advanced); SQL (Advanced); Java Script (Intermediate); Additional Preferred: Pylons (Intermediate); YUI (Intermediate). Markup Languages: HTML/CSS (Intermediate); XML (Intermediate). Development Tools: Oracle or other networked SQL DB (Advanced). Ajax Programming Paradigms (Intermediate). Directory Services: LDAP (Intermediate). Design: Software system design knowledge (participation in large projects a must) (Advanced); MVC (Intermediate).
Additional Notes :
Please note: This position requires the candidate to produce a verification of degree(s), credentials(s), or equivalencies from accredited institutions and/or international equivalents at the time of interview.
Cover Letter Required: Yes
External Posting Date: February 22, 2017
External Application Deadline: March 31, 2017
Please Note: All applications must be received by 4:30 p.m. on the posted deadline date.
ON JUNE 1ST OUR APPLICATION FORM WENT AUTOMATED! PLEASE CAREFULLY REVIEW THE APPLICATION AND SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS AS THEY HAVE CHANGED. AFTER YOUR SUBMISSION, YOU WILL RECEIVE A COPY OF YOUR SUBMISSION AND ATTACHMENTS VIA EMAIL FOR YOUR RECORDS.
Thank you for your interest in a career with York University.
During the application process, please ensure that:
- You have submitted a complete application package using our online application portal*. A complete application package consists of the completed application form, a cover letter and resume by 4:30 p.m. on the posted deadline date.
- A complete application package has been submitted for each job posting you are applying for.
- You have quoted the appropriate posting number on your application form and in the subject line of your email. Please keep the posting number and position description for future reference or inquiries.
- The University welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including individuals within the University's employment equity categories of women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and aboriginal persons, individuals of diverse gender and sexual orientation and all groups protected by the Human Rights Code. York University is committed to employment equity and diversity and a positive and supportive environment.
- York University offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted by York University regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you require accommodation.
- Please note, due to the high volume of applications received only those selected for an interview will be contacted.